He was also elected Managing Editor of the California Annual Criminal Review, and in 2009 he authored an article that was published by the Berkeley Journal of Criminal Law.
After graduating from law school, Justin served the community as a Deputy Public Defender in Contra Costa County. There he represented clients in all aspects of their criminal cases and tried fourteen jury trials.
Justin remains active as a coach for the Berkeley Law Mock Trial team and is a member of the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, American Association for Justice, and Attorneys Information Exchange Group. He is also an avid motoring enthusiast, musician, and martial artist.
Example Case Results
- Family v. Various Entities
$10,000,000 – global settlement – Represented the family of a man who was killed by dangerous rental accommodation practices.
- Minor Children v. Various Entities
$9,750,000 – global settlement – Represented children who suffered birth defects due to toxic exposure.
- Patient vs. Medical Device Company and Implanting Doctor
$5,500,000 – settlement – Represented a woman was surgically implanted with a defective medical device.
- Outdoor Diner v. Various Entities
$2,125,000 – global settlement – Represented a man who suffered catastrophic brain injury when struck by a vehicle while dining outside at a popular South Bay restaurant.
- Zhou v. City of San Jose
$1,000,000 – jury verdict – Represented the family of a man who was killed by a negligently-inspected tree that fell in a busy San Jose public park.
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- MELENDEZ-DIAZ V. MASSACHUSETTS: RAISING THE CONFRONTATION REQUIREMENTS, 14 Berkeley J. Crim. L. 439 , Fall, 2009
Past Employment Positions
- Contra Costa County Public Defender’s Office, Deputy Public Defender, 2011 – 2013
- Mandarin Chinese