Women riding in commercial rideshare vehicles are at risk for injuries from both driver negligence and driver criminal assault.
Criminal sexual assault in commercial rideshare vehicles is a reality. According to corporate disclosures by Uber and Lyft thousands of female passengers have reported sexual assaults over the last three years.
If you or a loved one has survived a sexual assault or abuse by an Uber or Lyft driver, Walkup, Melodia, Kelly, & Schoenberger can help. We are prosecuting such cases on behalf of injured women at this time. Our Uber/Lyft rideshare assault team will listen to your story and provide you with the legal representation you need. We understand the mental and emotional trauma that victims suffer and the difficulty of coming forward to seek justice. When you are ready, call us at (415) 981-7210 for a free and confidential case evaluation.
How We Can Help
At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we have courtroom experience taking on large corporate entities on behalf of our clients. We have dedicated our practice to helping those who have been harmed by the negligence, indifference, wrongdoing of large corporations. We understand the defense attorneys and defense strategies of Uber and Lyft and their lawyers. We are not intimidated or fearful of big corporations.,
- If you have been assaulted or experienced inappropriate sexual behavior by a rideshare driver, we believe you.
- We have a network of investigators and experts that we will put to work on your behalf.
- We receive no fees until we successfully recover compensation for you.
- We know the law, the rights of victims, and the way to obtain financial recoveries against these defendants.
- Our firm has the resources and legal ability to build a strong case and fight for justice for survivors.
Uber and Lyft Have Duty To Protect Passengers
Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft have a legal duty to make their vehicles safe and to protect riders from dangerous drivers. Sexual assault is never the victim’s fault. We believe that Uber and Lyft have failed this duty and are directly responsible for the actions of their drivers.
Rideshare companies have often demonstrated a lack of due diligence in background checks, including when they fail to uncover a history of sexual assault or inappropriate behavior. Additionally, there have been many cases where complaints about inappropriate behavior or sexual assault against a driver were not dealt with appropriately, where the victim’s reports were not relayed to the police and where drivers were not immediately terminated.
Do I have a viable claim for abuse?
If you experienced behavior that you felt was inappropriate, you may have a case. There are a wide range of actions and behaviors that can constitute sexual assault. It is important to speak with an experienced rideshare assault attorney as soon as possible so that we can begin investigating what happened, secure evidence, and make sure your claim is filed within the statute of limitations. While recent changes to the law have widened the window to file a civil lawsuit in sexual assault cases with the passing of CA AB-1619, it is still important to be aware of the time limit.
In any civil action for recovery of damages suffered as a result of sexual assault, where the assault occurred on or after the plaintiff’s 18th birthday, the time for commencement of the action shall be the later of the following:
(1) Within 10 years from the date of the last act, attempted act, or assault with the intent to commit an act, of sexual assault by the defendant against the plaintiff.
(2) Within three years from the date the plaintiff discovers or reasonably should have discovered that an injury or illness resulted from an act, attempted act, or assault with the intent to commit an act, of sexual assault by the defendant against the plaintiff.
When You Are Ready, We Are Here
At Walkup Melodia Kelly & Schoenberger, we are ready to aid you in your pursuit of justice whenever you are. If you’d like to speak with an experienced attorney, please call (415) 981-7210.