Andrew attended law school at UC Hastings, where he served as Executive Production Editor of the Hastings Science & Technology Law Journal. He was also a member of the Hastings Trial Team. During his final semester of law school, Mr. McDevitt served as a judicial extern to the Honorable A. James Robertson II of the San Francisco Superior Court.
At the Walkup firm, Andrew utilizes his mechanical engineering background in the representation of both personal injury and wrongful death clients. He used his technical background to assist clients injured from a wide variety of defective products. Andrew has achieved favorable settlements and verdicts for clients in product defect cases involving vehicle rollover and roof crush, safety belt failure, airbag malfunction, device explosions, elevator malfunction, and child car seat failure.
In 2016 Andrew was honored with the Outstanding Barrister Award from the Bar Association of San Francisco. Each year since 2017, Andrew has been recognized on the California Rising Stars list. Less than 2.5% of attorneys in the state receive the honor annually. Andrew was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America for Personal Injury Litigation.
Exemplar Verdicts and Settlements
- Surviving Family Members v. Product Manufacturers – Settlement – wrongful death following vehicle fire $18,250,000
- Vehicle Occupant v. Product Manufacturers – Settlement – SUV rollover / paralysis $12,500,000
- Kammerer v. Alimak Hek AB – Jury verdict – construction worker falls 50 feet from defective construction hoist $8,328,591
- Skier v. Ski Resort – Settlement – premises liability / traumatic brain injury $8,000,000
- Employee v. Semiconductor Manufacturer – Settlement – defective product explosion $7,500,000
- Hotel Guest v. Hotel – Jury Trial/Settlement (case resolved before closing arguments) – hotel guest suffered paralyzing neck injury in hotel hallway after spending evening in hotel bar $7,250,000
- HMO Member v. Spine Surgeon – Arbitration/Settlement (case resolved after matter submitted to arbitrator) – patient paralyzed by untreated epidural hematoma that developed after patient underwent cervical discectomy $6,500,000
- Motorcycle Rider v. California State Employee – Settlement – spinal cord injury during motorcycle accident $5,750,000
- Surviving Parents v. MUNI – Settlement – wrongful death $2,850,000
- National Park Visitor v. Landscape Architect – Settlement (partial) – catastrophic injuries during fall on staircase $2,500,000
- Wrongful Death Heirs v. Truck Driver – Settlement – big rig crash $1,100,000
- Passenger v. Yellow Cab Cooperative Inc. – Settlement – assault by driver $1,000,000 (policy limits)
- Married Apartment Tenants v. Landlord – Settlement – carbon monoxide $850,000
- Pedestrian v. Driver – Settlement – tibial plateau fracture after being struck by car $500,000
- Ludwig v. Yellow Cab Cooperative Inc.–Jury Verdict – automobile strikes pedestrian then flees scene $416,894
- Ruchamkin v. Lee – Jury Verdict – automobile strikes pedestrian in crosswalk $180,500