A member of the Board of Directors of the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, Valerie has been peer-nominated each year since 2013 as a Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Star – a distinction given to fewer that 2.5 percent of the state’s lawyers. In 2017, she was an important member of the Walkup trial team nominated by the Consumer Attorneys of California for the Consumer Attorney of the Year honor flowing from her contribution to the first successful DePuy defective metal-on-metal hip trial in the country.
Valerie obtained her undergraduate degree from the University of California, Berkeley, graduating in 2004 with high distinction. She is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa National Honors Society and was a national medalist in mock trial and parliamentary debate. She attended law school at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, earning her J.D. in 2010.
At Berkeley Law, Valerie co-chaired the Board of Advocates, which oversees the school’s appellate, ADR, and trial competition teams. She also clerked at the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Division, and served as a judicial extern for Chief Judge Vaughn R. Walker in the Northern District of California.
Following graduation from Berkeley Law, Valerie worked on a variety of complex class and collective actions at the law firm of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. While at Orrick, she used her prior experience as a registered California lobbyist to assist clients with legislative and regulatory issues.
Valerie lives in San Francisco with her husband and two young daughters.
Example Case Results
- $ 14.5 million dollar settlement for dangerous condition of property resulting in paralysis
- $ 9.8 million dollar settlement for medical negligence
- $ 8.3 million dollar jury verdict for defective hip implant
- $ 7.3 million dollar wrongful death jury verdict for an automobile collision
- $ 2.7 million dollar wrongful death arbitration award for medical negligence
- $ 2.3 million dollar settlement for automobile collision resulting in traumatic brain injury
- $ 2.25 million dollar settlement for a pedestrian struck by an automobile
- $1.8 million dollar settlement for a defective medical device
- $ 1.7 million dollar settlement for dangerous condition of property resulting in wrongful death
- $ 500 thousand dollar arbitration award for medical negligence