Sacramento School Abuse Lawyer
When parents and guardians send their kids to school, they should be able to count on teachers and administrators to keep them safe. However, sexual abuse does occur in Sacramento schools. There are 398 total schools in the Sacramento School District. When sexual abuse occurs, victims of abuse and their families should be able to seek justice and compensation for what has happened, and new CA laws are in place to ensure this can happen.
If you or a loved one have been sexually abused in a Sacramento school, the team at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger is ready to get to work on your behalf. We will investigate what happened and work secure the compensation you are entitled to. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
When Does School Sexual Abuse Occur?
Perpetrators of school sexual abuse can be teachers, coaches, administrators, staff, and other students. This type of abuse can occur in a variety of settings. This includes:
- In a classroom between a student and a teacher.
- Extracurricular activities, including clubs and sports teams.
- On trips away from school that are supervised by teachers and school staff.
- Off school grounds by a school staff member.
Any type of sexual misconduct between a student and a member of the school staff is sexual abuse. It is illegal, and the perpetrators should be held accountable. Schools can also be held accountable for failing to prevent student-on-student sexual abuse.
AB 218 Gives Victims of Abuse More Time to Seek Justice
As of January 1, 2020, AB 218 became law in California. This law allows survivors of Sacramento school sexual abuse more time to seek compensation from their abusers. The law extends the time that a person has to file a lawsuit against their abusers. Victims now have until age 40, or up to five years after they discover the adult psychological injury caused by the abuse, to file claims.
AB 218 also allows victims of any age to have three years from Jan. 1, 2020, to bring claims that were otherwise barred due to previous limitations.
Victims should generally speak to a Sacramento school abuse attorney as soon as possible so they can file successful claims. However, research shows that victims often wait until they are adults before they tell anyone. Some people do not even realize sexual abuse occurred until they are older. These victims deserve to have a voice.
Why an Attorney Is Necessary for These Cases
It is recommended that a skilled school sexual abuse attorney assists with these cases. Litigation in these cases can become incredibly complex and involves significant investigation.
- California will receive many more sexual abuse cases with the passage of AB 218. Any incomplete or incorrect claims could be rejected. Your lawyer will work to ensure this does not happen.
- An attorney will conduct a thorough investigation into the sexual abuse and will uncover any instance of school staff covering up allegations of abuse.
- Your attorney will handle communication with all parties involved in these cases and can work with all parties involved to negotiate a fair settlement.
Let Us Help You Today
If you or someone you care about has been sexually abused at a Sacramento school, contact an attorney today. You can count on the team at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger to be by your side. We understand the devastating and long-lasting impacts that this abuse has on victims. We are dedicated to helping you secure the compensation you need, so contact us for a free evaluation of your case today.