Dedicated Catastrophic Injury Attorneys Serving San Francisco, CA
Catastrophic injuries are life-changing, and survivors only have one chance to speak with a San Francisco Catastrophic Injury Lawyer and get the compensation they need for medical costs, pain, and suffering, rehabilitation, in-home care, lost earnings and other damages.
Not every attorney and firm can successfully maximize a catastrophic injury claim.
With Our Catastrophic Injury Lawyers, We Can
At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we have tireless advocates for the survivors of catastrophic injuries and the families who care for them since 1959. We have a well-deserved reputation in California and throughout the nation, reflected in the six and seven-figure settlements we have obtained for our clients in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond.
Types of Catastrophic Injury Claims
The law defines a “catastrophic injury” as any injury that results in permanent disability or a permanent change in the quality of life. Some examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Amputation Consequences: The amputation of a limb symbolizes an extremely disabling physiological condition and an emotionally traumatizing event. Most often, those who lose limbs in accidents require long-term recovery and rehabilitation processes. Although prosthetic technologies have evolved enormously in the past several years, adapting to them is still a laborious process.
- Internal Organ Damage: People who have been subject to severe internal organ damage because of medical negligence, surgical malpractice, infections or toxic substance ingestion may sue for damages caused by the permanent impairment and treatment costs.
- Ocular Impairment: A threat to visual health, which may cause partial or total loss of vision is the involvement in doing risky activities and dangerous occupations. This defect can also arise from different sources including traumatic skull injuries, automobile accidents in San Francisco, acts of violence, and chemical exposures.
- Fatal Injuries: That is, when catastrophic injuries result into fatality, the estates of deceased relatives can file wrongful death lawsuits instead of personal injury claims.
- Auditory Deterioration: There is auditory damage under prolonged exposure to high-decibel environments of factories, construction sites and assembly plants. While the repeated use of ear gear that provides protection might reduce this risk, certain loud noises are capable of causing partial or total hearing loss. More importantly, traumatic head wounds may result in hearing loss.
- Cerebral Trauma: The fact that the brain is responsible for controlling bodily functions makes brain damage, whether through cranial injury, asphyxiation or chemical poisoning even more distressful. Such a kind of injury can lead to the destruction of cognitive processes, memory, and the ability to carry out everyday activities.
Spinal Cord Injury: It is especially devastating because the spinal cord, an important nerve highway allowing brain-body communication, lacks regenerative characteristics. The following types of spinal injuries often lead to sensory loss, functional impairment or both with permanent implications.
Damages and Compensation in Catastrophic Injury Lawsuits
The jury hearing a case assesses the case’s value by determining the value of the damages sustained by the plaintiff. Economic losses such as lost wages from missed time at work, property damage, and medical expenses are easy to prove with proper documentation, such as pay stubs, invoices, bills for services, and receipts. Non-economic damages are a bit more difficult to prove.
A jury will generally award pain and suffering damages based on the severity of the plaintiff’s injuries. For example, a plaintiff who incurred $50,000 in medical expenses for the treatment of a catastrophic injury may require several years or more of recovery time. During that time, the plaintiff will likely deal with consistent pain, discomfort, and loss of range of motion, so the jury will likely award quite a bit more in pain and suffering damages. While there is no hard and fast rule for calculating these damages, it is generally safe to assume that pain and suffering damages will be several times more than a plaintiff’s claimed medical expenses. If you have concerns, call our San Francisco Catastrophic Injury Lawyer.
In some cases, the plaintiff’s economic damages are a bit more difficult to ascertain. If the plaintiff will require several future corrective procedures, long-term physical therapy, rehabilitation, occupational therapy, or any other form of long-term medical care, the jury will factor this into their determination.
Examples Of Successful Representation In Catastrophic Injury Cases
Propane Explosion Causing Wrongful Death & Personal Injury — $52 Million Jury Verdict
Failure To Diagnose Stroke — $38.6 Million Jury Verdict
Pedestrian Injured by Dangerous Roadway Causing Brain Injury — $12.2 Million Settlement
Defective Artificial Hip Manufactured by ASR/DePuy – $8.37 Million Settlement
Wrongful Death Car Accident — $7.36 Million Jury Verdict
Big Rig Rollover Caused by Dangerous Highway Merge — $7 Million Settlement
Delayed Cesarean Section/HIE Causing Birth Injury – $6 Million Settlement
Defective Elevator – $4.5 Million Settlement
Burn Injury – Summer Home Fire — $3.3 Million Settlement
Defective Airplane Component — $3 Million Settlement
Negligent Spinal Surgery Causing Brain Injury — $2.8 Million Settlement
*Click on the individual result to see details regarding the case.
How Were You Injured?
It does not matter whether you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, subjected to substandard medical care or hurt by a defective product. If your injury was the result of another person or corporation’s negligence, we can help you make things right and obtain the financial recovery you deserve.
We have successfully recovered for a wide range of victims, including those who suffered severe burns, pedestrians struck by vehicles, and people who suffered irreparable harm to their brain or spinal cord.
If your family has suffered the ultimate loss as a result of negligence, we can pursue a wrongful death claim on your behalf. We combine tenacious representation with the compassion you need during this difficult time.
Intimidated by No One in the Pursuit of Justice
Our attorneys and staff will not hesitate to take on powerful opponents when it is in your best interest. This includes manufacturers, major corporations, property owners and even public entities.
Put a San Francisco Catastrophic Injury Lawyer by Your Side
Call us today at (415) 981-7210 or contact us online to arrange a free consultation. We can meet with you at your home or in the hospital if you are unable to come to us. You deserve to be compensated for what you have been through and will continue to go through, and you deserve an attorney who will fight for what is right.