Walkup Personal Injury Lawyers Are Your Bay Area Child Sexual Abuse Attorneys
The sexual abuse of children is a heinous crime. Whether it involves physical assault, exposure to sexual images, exploitation, or sexual activity with a minor, it alters the victim’s life, causing long-term harm and distress. If you, or a child in your life, are a victim of sexual abuse, you have the right to file a lawsuit. An experienced and compassionate San Francisco Child Sexual Molestation Attorney at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger can help you understand your rights so that you can pursue justice and compensation.
Child Sexual Abuse Statistics
Sexual abuse of children is startlingly widespread. In some cases, the abuse happens while our children are in the care of our most trusted institutions: schools, daycare, sports clubs, or religious organizations.
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before 18 years of age (National Sexual Violence Resource Center).
- 12.3% of women were ten years old or younger when they were first victimized, while 27.8% of men were ten years or under.
- Only 12% of child sex abuse cases are reported
Learn the Warning Signs of Child Sexual Abuse
Young victims of sexual violence are often afraid to speak out or don’t know how to come forward. The victim often feels betrayed, powerless, alone, ashamed, confused, at fault, and fearful of repercussions. Too often, the abuser is someone they trust. In many cases, a child does not comprehend what has happened. As a San Francisco Child Sexual Molestation Attorney will tell you, it’s important to know the warning signs that a child is experiencing symptoms of sexual violence or abuse:
- Recurring/unexplained pain or injury, especially in the groin, thighs, genitalia
- Unexplained bleeding
- Frequent UTIs
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Indications of self-harm
Mental and emotional:
- Anxiety, depression, thoughts of self-harm or suicide
- Symptoms of PTSD
- Change in eating habits
- Guilt and shame
- Fears, particularly of specific people or places, of being alone or away from a primary caregiver
- Mood swings
- Emotional outbursts
- Decreased self-esteem
- Sleep troubles
- Unexplained symptoms, such as frequent stomach aches
- Loss of interest in favorite activities and friends
- School performance slipping
- Regression, such as thumb-sucking or bedwetting
- Abnormal knowledge or talk of sexual subjects
- Referring to “secrets” with an adult
Why you need a Northern California Child Sexual Abuse Attorney
Whether a child in your life has experienced sexual abuse or you are suffering the effects of childhood abuse as an adult, it’s vital to talk to a lawyer. California law, AB 218, enables adult survivors to bring a claim up to age 40 or 5 years past the date they discover childhood abuse, whichever is later.
Contact A Compassionate San Francisco Child Sexual Molestation Attorney
You may recover damages for medical bills, pain and suffering, emotional distress, lost wages, and other losses due to your sex abuse trauma. The amount you may be able to recover depends on many factors. Our lawyers will evaluate your case at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger. Our San Francisco sexual abuse attorneys are fierce advocates for survivors. Call or email us today.