California Girl Scouts Sexual Abuse Lawyer
The mission of the Girl Scouts of the USA is to build courage, confidence, and character in young girls. While the Girl Scouts provide a wonderful opportunity for many, there have been instances of troop leaders and volunteers taking advantage of their positions of power. Although these abuses appear to be not as widespread as those discovered at the Boy Scouts of America, they nonetheless occur to young women under the care of the Girl Scouts.
At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we are ready to help if you or somebody you love has been sexually abused while participating in the Girl Scouts of the USA. We will investigate your case and move to secure justice for you or your loved one. Call us today for a free consultation at (415) 889-2919.
Girl Scouts of the USA and Sexual Abuse
Over the last few years, the nation has been rocked by allegations of sexual abuse within the Boy Scouts of America. However, sexual abuse of young women may also be a serious problem within the Girl Scouts of the USA — even though it is not discussed as often.
- In October 2017, a Maryland Girl Scouts co-leader was arrested on charges of possession and distribution of child pornography.
- In July 2018, an Arizona Girl Scouts Volunteer was arrested on charges of child molestation.
- In December 2018, a Wisconsin volunteer Girl Scout troop leader in Sun Prairie has been arrested on tentative charges of repeated sexual assault of a child.
- In March 2019, a New York Girl Scouts troop leader was arrested on charges of sexual abuse and forcible touching of at least 2 minors.
Statistics show that approximately one out of every four girls in the United States are sexually abused before they turn 18, compared to one out of every 20 boys. These statistics may indicate that sexual abuse within the Girl Scouts of the USA is more common than is actually reported.
The Girl Scouts of the USA offers an environment in which adult scout leaders may have ample time to groom their victims into an eventual sexual relationship. Sexual abuse within the Girl Scouts can happen at overnight scouting events, at sleepovers, and at any Girl Scout related events.
Victims Now Have Time to Seek Justice
Victims of childhood sexual abuse in California now have more time to file civil lawsuits against the perpetrators of their abuse. AB 218 became law on Jan. 1, 2020, which effectively extends the statute of limitations for survivors of sexual abuse in the state. Survivors now have until they are 40 years old or up to five years after they discover the adult psychological injury caused by the abuse to file a lawsuit. AB 218 also allows for more damages to be recovered from any organization that tried to cover up allegations of sexual abuse, such as the Girl Scouts of the USA.
Many childhood victims of sexual abuse do not even realize they were abused until they are adults. This new law gives victims more opportunities to seek justice for what happened to them.
Why Do You Need an Attorney for This Case?
It is highly recommended for victims of childhood sexual abuse in the Girl Scouts of the USA to seek assistance from an attorney. The Girl Scouts is a well-funded organization that is able to fight these allegations. Your attorney will level the playing field and will work to:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into what happened to you.
- Work diligently to expose any cover-up that may have occurred regarding your case.
- Negotiate with all parties involved, including the Girl Scouts’ legal teams and insurers, to ensure you receive a fair settlement.
- Prepare to take your case to trial if necessary to secure the compensation you need.
Our Team Is Ready to Help
If you or a loved one have been sexually abused while participating in Girl Scouts of the USA events, contact an attorney today. At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we will thoroughly investigate your case in order to secure any compensation you need for counseling and your pain and suffering. We will even pursue punitive damages against the perpetrators of the abuse. Contact us today for a free case evaluation with a California Girl Scouts sexual abuse attorney.