Quadriplegia From Northern California Accidents
At Walkup, our San Francisco spinal cord paralysis team of attorneys has represented patients who became quadriplegic as a result of automobile accidents, falls, medical errors, product defects (including defective seat belts and air bags), medical device and drug defects, industrial accidents, bicycle crashes and toxic exposure.
These clients have most often sustained a spinal cord injury at a level from C1 to T1 (cervical to thoracic).
- High paraplegia (C1-C4): Loss of all motor and sensory function from the neck down, including loss of bowel and bladder control. For patients with C1-C3 injuries, probable loss of voluntary respiratory function. Individuals with C1-C4 level injuries will likely depend on others for assistance with almost all mobility and self-care functions. Because swallowing and phonation functions are preserved, assistive technologies (including voice-activated, pneumatic or chin-controlled devices) may facilitate a victim’s control of portions of his/her environment. These devices include pneumatic wheelchairs and environmental control units (ECUs).
- C5 paraplegia: Additional ability to flex elbow. With assistive technologies, such as wrist and hand orthotics to grip objects, these clients can achieve some independence in feeding and grooming themselves. Assistive technology may also enable them to adjust the height of their beds, answer phones, and use computers and television sets, but typically, they will still require assistance for transfer mobility and many self-care tasks (e.g., dressing and bathing.)
- C6 paraplegia: Individuals with C6 paraplegia have the additional ability to extend their wrists, which facilitates grasp and release function with specialized technology. By using a wrist-hand tenodesis splint, it is possible to achieve gripping motion with the thumb. Loss of all motor function below the shoulders and upper arms, including loss of voluntary respiration and bowel and bladder control. Individuals may achieve independent feeding, dressing, grooming, phone use, page turning and typing with assistive devices. Some transfer mobility may be achieved with the use of slide boards.
- C7 paraplegia: Functional ability to extend elbow. C7 is generally the highest injury level compatible with independent living. Patients may achieve independence in feeding, upper extremity dressing, bathing, mobility, transfers, driving, writing and manual wheelchair use. Patients, especially women, may still need help with intermittent catheterization.
- C8 paraplegia: Additional ability to flex fingers, facilitating hand grasp and release. Individuals with C8 level injury may achieve independence with feeding, grooming, upper and lower extremity dressing, bathing, bed transfers, bladder and bowel care, using a computer, typing, writing, and independent driving with some assistive technologies.
Recovering Money For The Loneliness And Physical Dependency Caused By Quadriplegia
Our attorneys understand that people who have suffered catastrophic injuries require both emotional and physical support. The inability to move is emotionally devastating. It is frightening and isolating. It produces fear and dread. Our team of personal injury lawyer spinal cord specialists works with psychologists, psychiatrists, neuropsychologists and consultants in many fields to improve the quality of life for our clients. The Walkup team of spinal cord lawyers seeks recovery for mental health support and counseling for paralyzed clients. We also price into our settlement demands the possibility that advancing and improving technology may produce breakthroughs that improve the quality of life for our paralyzed clients.
If you have sustained paralyzing injury due to the fault of others, you need legal representation. Most importantly, you need representation by a law firm that has the experience and resources to protect your rights. That law firm is Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger. To arrange a free consultation to discuss your case, call us at 415-906-3764 or contact the Walkup firm online.