Hayward Personal Injury Lawyer
Injuries can lead to victims sustaining temporary or permanent disabilities, and they can cause tremendous financial instability. If you or a loved one have been injured due to the negligence of another person, let Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger help you today. Our Hayward personal injury attorneys will investigate your claim in order to secure any compensation you are entitled to.
Why choose Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger?
After sustaining a serious injury caused by another person, you need an attorney with extensive experience handling these cases in the Hayward area. Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger is ready to help.
- We have the resources necessary to conduct a full investigation into every personal injury case that we take.
- Our attorneys have an unmatched record of multimillion-dollar results, and we are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary to obtain maximum compensation.
- We have a full-time physician on staff to help us understand your medical issues and help prove your injuries in court.
Because we know that many personal injury victims are dealing with a difficult financial situation, we take Hayward personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that our clients pay no legal fees until after we secure a favorable settlement or verdict on their behalf.
Why do you need an attorney for a Hayward personal injury case?
While it may be tempting to try to handle a personal injury lawsuit in Hayward without an attorney, the reality is that most injury victims do not have the resources necessary to conduct a complete investigation into their case. However, an attorney will have the resources and legal experience necessary to:
- Obtain all evidence related to the incident, including photo or video surveillance, statements from eyewitnesses, company or personnel records, accident reports, and more.
- Ensure their client is evaluated by a trusted healthcare professional who can help treat them while also determining the total extent of the victim’s losses.
- Negotiate with all parties involved to receive a fair settlement on behalf of the client or prepare a case for trial if necessary to ensure justice is secured.
At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we have a firm belief that all personal injury victims deserve an advocate by their side who can stand up to deep-pocketed insurance carriers or at-fault parties.
Personal injury cases arise in various ways in Hayward
At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, our team helps those who have sustained injuries in a variety of ways. This includes:
- Car accidents
- Commercial trucking accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Electric scooter accidents
- Dog bite incidents
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Property owner negligence cases
- Birth injuries/cerebral palsy
This is not an all-inclusive list, and we are able to help injury victims after a variety of other types of incidents. Contact our Hayward personal injury lawyers today so we can get started helping with your case. We regularly assist those who have sustained the following:
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations and puncture wounds
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Open head wounds
- Internal organ damage or internal bleeding
- Whiplash injuries
- and more
At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we also want to note that personal injury victims in Hayward often regularly suffer from significant emotional and psychological trauma after an injury-causing incident. These injuries arise due to the event itself as well as the subsequent effect the injuries have on the victim, including their loss of enjoyment of life, their inability to work and earn an income, and even scarring and disfigurement suffering. These injuries, though less visible, can still profoundly affect personal injury victims.
How long do victims have to file a claim?
Every state is responsible for setting a time limit on how long victims have to file claims against alleged negligent parties after sustaining an injury. Per California Code of Civil Procedure section 335.1, the statute of limitations for these claims in California is two years from the date the injury occurs. Failure to file a claim within this two-year window will likely result in a victim losing the ability to recover any compensation for their losses.
What kind of compensation is available in these cases?
Anybody who has been injured due to the negligence of another person should be entitled to various types of compensation. While the total amount of damages awarded in these cases will vary depending on various facts surrounding the incident, the team at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger regularly helps victims secure the following:
- All medical bills related to their injuries
- Any income you lost if a victim cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages in cases of gross negligence
What if you are blamed for partially causing your injuries?
Many people think that they will be unable to recover compensation if they were partially to blame for the incident that caused their injuries. Insurance carriers may want you to believe that, but California operates under a “pure comparative negligence” system concerning personal injury cases. This means that a person can recover compensation for their injuries even if they are partially at fault (up to 99% at fault). However, the total compensation that a personal injury victim in Hayward receives will be reduced based on their percentage of responsibility for the incident.
For example, if a person trips over a low-lying electrical cord strewn across a grocery store aisle and breaks their arm, then the grocery store operators could be held liable for the incident. However, what if there is video evidence showing that the injury victim was busy staring at their phone screen and not paying attention to where they were walking? In this case, a jury may decide that the grocery store was 80% at fault for the incident and that the injury victim was 20% at fault. If $10,000 in total damages are awarded, the victim would only receive $8,000 (the total amount less the 20%).
We have a track record of success recovering compensation for personal injury claims, including a $3 million settlement for a dangerous property condition case and a $7 million settlement for a utility pole explosion case. If you need a Hayward personal injury attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling (415) 889-2919.