ClickCease Bike Accidents With Uninsured Motorists

Bike Accidents With Uninsured Motorists

Financial Recovery For Cyclists Hurt By Uninsured Or Hit-And-Run Drivers

While there is no such thing as “bicycle insurance,” you may find that you’ve got the next best thing if you have an auto insurance policy that includes uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage.

Uninsured and underinsured coverage pays for your injuries if you are hit by an uninsured driver, even if you were not driving when you were hit.

It does not even have to be your own personal policy. You may be covered by your spouse’s or domestic partner’s car insurance policy or your parents’ policy if you are a college student away at school. You may also be covered by your adult child’s policy if you are a senior living with your child.

If you were hit by an uninsured driver while riding your bike, be sure you understand your legal rights. Talk with the San Francisco bike accident lawyers at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger.

Even if you don’t know if you are covered under a policy, call our firm at (415) 981-7210 or send us an email.

Will You Get The Compensation You Need And Deserve?

Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage should compensate you and other injured claimants for financial and nonfinancial losses, including:

  • Medical care, rehabilitation, drugs and medical equipment
  • Lost wages and loss of future income if you have a continuing disability that limits your ability to work
  • Other costs associated with your injury
  • Pain and suffering

It is important to note, however, that your uninsured or underinsured coverage is limited to the amount that you purchased before the incident.

While many people have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage for less than $100,000, we recommend to our clients that they maximize this portion of their coverage.

The reason is that a catastrophic injury and the hospitalization, surgery and treatment that go along with it can easily result in medical expenses and lost wages that quickly exceed small uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance policies.