ClickCease Were You Hurt By An Uninsured Driver?

Were You Hurt By An Uninsured Driver?

Getting Compensation For Injuries Caused By An Uninsured Driver

Based on figures from the Insurance Research Council, some 15 percent of California drivers do not carry liability insurance for their car, truck or motorcycle. That’s roughly 3 million drivers. Given that this number is from 2009, it is likely that the downturn in the economy has caused the number to balloon.

What this means for those of us who share the road with uninsured California drivers is this: If you are involved in an accident, the burden of paying for your injuries and damages may be all yours.

There’s no way around it.

It’s unfair.

But there is something you can do. The careful, responsible driver carries uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage for just such a situation.

California Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers

Most people don’t read through their vehicle insurance policy closely or understand the terms and conditions. It’s only when they are injured in a car wreck with an uninsured driver — or become the victim of a hit-and-run accident — that they pull out their policy to see if they are covered. But insurance policies can be difficult to understand. And insurance companies are not always willing to live up to their obligations to policyholders.

If you have been hurt in an accident with an uninsured driver, be sure you understand your legal rights. Talk with the experienced San Francisco uninsured driver lawyers at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger. To arrange a free consultation about your insurance policy and options, call us at (415) 981-7210 or contact the Walkup firm online.

Getting Compensation When The At-Fault Driver Is Uninsured

If you have UM/UIM coverage with your car, truck or motorcycle policy — or if you are covered by someone else’s UM/UIM policy (a parent or someone you live with) — you can bring a claim to your own insurance company for your medical expenses, lost wages and other damages.

You can file a claim whether you were a driver or a passenger in a vehicle that was involved in a collision caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver or a pedestrian or bicyclist hit by an uninsured vehicle.

What About Bay Area Hit-And-Run Accidents?

Hit-and-run accidents are also covered by uninsured motorist insurance. To bring a claim for compensation, a few conditions generally apply, including:

  • The hit-and-run driver must actually have touched you or your vehicle (not just swerved into your lane).
  • You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours.

Contact A California Uninsured Motorist Coverage Law Firm

Learn more about your rights under California insurance law by speaking with our attorneys. Contact Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger for a free consultation. We can review your California uninsured motorist insurance policy and advise you of your rights. If you or a loved one has been injured by an uninsured motorist, call us at (415) 981-7210 or contact us online.

Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger handles car accident insurance claims throughout the Bay Area, including San Francisco, Hayward, Sunnyvale and San Jose.