ClickCease Injured Drivers

Injured Drivers

Legal Help For Drivers Injured By Uninsured Motorists

When it comes to car accidents with injuries and damage to property, California is an “at fault” state. The state has enacted the California Compulsory Financial Responsibility Law in an attempt to hold bad drivers financially accountable for their actions.

Under this law, a driver and/or owner of a vehicle — private cars, trucks, motorcycles, motor scooters — is required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance or an approved alternative way to pay for injury or property damage they may cause.

The minimum amount of liability coverage a driver or owner is required to carry is:

  • Bodily injury: $15,000 for injury or death of any one person in any one accident or $30,000 for injuries or death of all people in any one accident
  • Property damage: $5,000 for any one accident (regardless of how many vehicles are involved)

California law does not require drivers to carry specific limits of other coverage, such as uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage or medical payment coverage. But it is wise to do so, given that some 3 million California drivers do not have any insurance coverage and they are on the road with you.

If you have been hurt in an accident with an uninsured driver, be sure you understand your legal rights. Talk with an experienced California uninsured driver coverage lawyer at the San Francisco law firm of Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger.

If you or a loved one has been injured by an uninsured motorist, call us at (415) 981-7210 or contact us online.

Who Is Covered By My Uninsured Motorist Policy?

Everyone who lives in error household, and who was a family member, is covered by your automobile policy for uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. That is true whether or not the household member has a driver’s license or drives a car. The policy on your own vehicle covers household members when they are in your car, other people’s cars or even walking on the street as pedestrians.

What Will My Uninsured Motorist Policy Pay For?

Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage should compensate you and other injured claimants for financial and nonfinancial losses, including:

  • Current and future medical expenses
  • Rehabilitation and medical equipment costs
  • Current loss of income and any expected future loss of income due to reduced earning capacity (for example, a person with a serious brain injury may not be able to do the work he or she once did)
  • Out-of-pocket expenses such as household help
  • Pain and suffering

If your insurance company has acted unreasonably by denying or delaying payment on your uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) claim, Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger can help.

We are one of California’s premier personal injury law firms, tackling some of the most difficult injury cases in the state. All of our attorneys have extensive experience in arbitration and litigation against insurance companies such as State Farm, Allstate, Geico, Mercury, USAA, Progressive, CSAA and other insurers for California underinsured motorist insurance claims.

To schedule a free consultation to discuss your case, call us at (415) 981-7210 or contact the Walkup firm online.