Skilled Dog Bite Lawyers Serving Sacramento, CA
Dog bites can cause significant injuries to victims. You need to know what to do if you or a loved one are bitten by a dog. If the carelessness or negligence of a dog’s owner is to blame, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At the law offices of Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, our experienced Sacramento dog bite attorneys are ready to get to work on your case today. Let us investigate what happened so we can secure the maximum compensation you deserve for all of your bite-related injuries.
Why Choose Us?
When you need a personal injury attorney, you do not have to settle for anything less than the best. The team of Sacramento dog bite lawyers at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger will bring more than six decades of experience to your case.
- We have successfully represented dog bite victims in both state and federal courts.
- Our team is knowledgeable and experienced in arbitration hearing boards as well as mediation and settlement conferences.
- We helped shape personal injury law in this state while securing millions of dollars in financial compensation for injured clients.
Do You Need a California Dog Bite Lawyer?
These cases can become incredibly complex, and your attorney will be the one to guide you through a civil claim. At our law firm, our injury attorneys will:
- Gather all evidence relating to the dog bite incident and prepare all court documents and motions.
- Gather your medical records and have them evaluated by a trusted healthcare professional.
- Properly calculate your total economic and non-economic losses (medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.).
- Handle all communications with the insurance company or other parties involved in the case.
- Negotiate with insurers for a fair amount while also preparing to go to trial if necessary.
If you have been bitten by someone’s dangerous dog, whether in a public place or private place, it is recommended that you seek medical treatment as the first step, as well as report the incident to the police and Sacramento animal control services. Then take pictures of the dog, their owner (if applicable), and your injuries if you can.
Dog Bite Statistics
Canine Journal tells us that there are around 4.5 million dog bites each year in the United States. Most of these do not result in serious injuries, but the CDC tells us that around 800,000 dog attacks require medical attention in the hospital each year.
Children and the elderly are the most at-risk of serious dog bite injury because they are not as able to defend themselves or get away from the dog’s aggressive behavior. Certain breeds, such as American Pit Bulls, Doberman Pinschers, Chow Chows, Saint Bernards, Staffordshire Terriers, and German Shepherds, are more prone to attacks than others. However, regardless of dog breeds, anyone is at risk of the following injuries:
- Puncture wounds
- Broken bones
- Severe lacerations
- Artery or vein damage
- Damage to tendons, ligaments, and muscles
- Amputations (usually of fingers)
- Permanent scarring
- Facial injuries
- Brain injury
In many dog bite cases, victims must undergo emergency surgery or even plastic surgery to restore functionality and appearance to a bite area. Victims of California dog bite injuries often suffer from ongoing emotional and psychological trauma due to the bite and their personal injuries. This includes emotional injuries such as post traumatic stress disorder and anxiety.
Call a Sacramento Dog Bite Attorney Today
Do not wait to seek legal assistance if you or a loved one are injured by a dog bite that was caused by the negligence of someone else. Under California law, there is a time limit of two years to file a personal injury claim. At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we understand dog bite claims inside and outside and are ready to get to work immediately. Our goal is to investigate your case and secure the full compensation you deserve, including:
- Coverage of all bite-related medical expenses
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against negligent dog owners
Under California law, dog bites and other animal attacks fall under strict liability laws. This means that dog owners are responsible for injuries they cause, whether they knew their dog was capable of violence or not. Insurance companies will try to minimize your settlement and take advantage of you — we will not let that happen. When you need a Sacramento County dog bite lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or by calling us at (415) 981-7210.
We serve clients all over Northern California, including San Francisco, Marin County, Modesto, and Stockton.