San Francisco Dog Bite Lawyer
Dog bites can be severe, disfiguring, and cause serious infections and emotional injury. Dogs have many positive effects on the lives of their owners. They are positive social and emotional influences on children and adults. It is no accident they are called “Man’s best friend”.
Around 38% of U.S. households are estimated to have one or more dogs, and the number is growing. When a dog bite causes injuries it can require emergency room visits and inpatient hospitalization. Disability, lost wages, and tremendous medical bills often result. Disfigurement and scarring, as well as significant emotional and psychological trauma also result. Crushing injuries occur in attacks involving large dogs. Large dogs can exert a tremendous amount of force with their jaws that can crush, break, or fracture your bones, while also injuring your muscles and soft tissues.
At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we have represented victims of dog bites for 5o years. We know the law. We know the rules of damages recovery. We know how jurors respond in these cases. We know how insurance companies value these cases. Our knowledgeable and experienced San Francisco dog bite attorneys are here to help victims recover the compensation they are entitled to.
Why Choose Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger?
After sustaining a dog bite injury, victims need to get help from an attorney who knows the California law and you can trust to recover the monetary compensation that you deserve. Walkup Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger is here for you.
- Since 1959, our personal injury lawyers have successfully recovered millions of dollars for children and adults bitten by dogs to secure the compensation they deserve.
- Our attorneys are leaders in the field of personal injury litigation. Walkup lawyers have helped shape California personal injury law while securing millions of dollars in compensation for clients.
- We take all dog bite cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay nothing for upfront fees or costs. We only collect a legal fee after we recover money for you in settlement or judgment of your claim.
What Will a Walkup Attorney Do to Help?
We know the law. We know the approach of insurance companies. California law imposes mandatory strict liability when a client is bitten on public property and negligence liability is present when such injuries occur on private property. All homeowner’s insurance policies cover injuries caused by dog bites. If you are injured by a dog that is owned by a person with homeowners or renters liability, there is insurance available to pay what you deserve. These cases are vigorously defended by insurance companies – insurance company lawyers regularly seek to confuse and delay and complicate the issues and delay or deny payment.
As skilled San Francisco injury attorneys, we will be responsible for handling every aspect of your case, including:
- Collecting all evidence necessary to prove fault and liability.
- Thoroughly evaluating and proving your injuries.
- Negotiating with all responsible parties involved to secure a fair settlement on your behalf.
Dog Bites Can Lead to Severe Injuries
Dog bites are not uncommon. The vast majority of animal attacks in the United States are inflicted by dogs. It is estimated that approximately five million persons in the U.S. are bitten by dogs each year. Most dog bites are mild, but many result in injuries and infections that need medical care. Children are more than twice as likely as adults to be victims of dog bites. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that around 800,000 dog bite victims need medical care at the hospital each year.
Injuries from dog bites can be severe, and it is not uncommon for our San Francisco dog bite lawyers to help clients who have sustained the following:
- Disfiguring facial wounds
- Severe puncture wounds
- Severe lacerations
- Damage to arteries or veins
- Damage to tendons, ligaments, and muscles
- Amputations of fingers
California is considered a strict liability dog bite state. This means that a dog’s owner can be held liable for any injuries their dog causes from a bite. It is not required that the animal have a prior history of biting anyone else or being aggressive in the past in order for the owner to be held liable. All that the law requires in order for a victim to recover compensation is that:
- A bite occurred, and
- The victim was in a public place or lawfully in a private place when the bite occurred
Let Us Work to Secure the Compensation You Need
If you or someone you care about have been bitten and injured by a dog, you should seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we will promptly investigate your case to secure the compensation you deserve. e will seek recovery for:
- Coverage of all dog bite-related medical bills
- Lost wages if you cannot work while you recover
- Pain and suffering damages as well as damage for scarring and disfigurement, as well as curative plastic surgery;
- Possible punitive damages against the dog’s owner
If you need a San Francisco dog bite attorney, contact us today for a free consultation of your case.