What is the Average Settlement for a Car Accident in Sacramento?
Posted on December 9, 2019 in Car Accidents
If you or someone you care about has been involved in a car accident in Sacramento, one of the first things you may want to know is, “How much is my case worth?”
This is important information to know, especially when you’re dealing with medical bills, insurance payments, as well as pain and suffering from your injuries. When it comes to car accident settlements, there are various factors they go into determining how much a person will receive.
What factors go into a Sacramento car accident settlement?
There is no set amount of money the victim in a car accident will receive. Each case is different, and the following factors will be taken into account:
- The cost of medical treatment. Medical care is often the most expensive part of a car accident for victims. For car accident cases, it is important to remember victims may have future medical expenses related to the crash that need to be factored into the amount of compensation they receive.
- The cost of personal property damage. Most car accident cases involve property damage. The cost of fixing or replacing your vehicle needs to be factored into the final settlement amount.
- Lost wages and increased living expenses. In many cases, car accident victims are unable to work while they recover from their injuries. This could result in the victim losing the income they need to support themselves and their family. Victims may also have increase travel expenses to and from doctors and other specialists.
- Pain and suffering damages. A car accident victim’s physical, emotional, and psychological pain and suffering is difficult to calculate. Putting a price on pain is not easy, but victims are usually entitled to recover pain and suffering damages.
- Punitive damages. If the defendant’s actions were grossly negligent or intended to cause harm, punitive damages may be applied. These damages are meant to be a deterrent to the defendant from acting in a similar way in the future.
Estimating a car accident victim’s total losses can be very complicated. Your Sacramento car accident attorney will work with medical and financial experts in order to calculate the total amount of your losses due to the car accident.
Why are some cases worth more than others?
As we mentioned above, no two car accidents are the same. During the latest reporting year in California, the Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) states that there were over 273,000 car accident injuries and 3,602 car accident fatalities. Car accident injuries range from relatively minor to severe and life-threatening. It is not uncommon for a Sacramento car accident to cause the following injuries:
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
A car accident victim’s total settlement often depends on the severity of the injury and how long it takes them to recover. Someone who breaks their arm in a crash and makes a full recovery will likely not receive as much compensation as a victim who suffers from the loss of a limb or a spinal cord injury.
It is important to work with a knowledgeable and experienced Sacramento car accident lawyer to properly calculate your total losses and negotiate a settlement on your behalf.