ClickCease Stockton Nursing Home Abuse Attorney | CA | Free Consultation

Stockton Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer

If your loved one is in a nursing home, you should never have to worry about their safety. However, nursing home abuse is not uncommon, and it can cause serious physical and emotional injuries. At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we are here to help when you need a Stockton nursing home abuse attorney. Let our compassionate team look into your claim and work to secure full compensation for what happened.

Why choose Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger?

After discovering that your loved one has been abused in a nursing home, call a compassionate and experienced attorney for help. Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger is here.

  • Our Stockton nursing home abuse attorneys have been helping victims in this area for more than six decades.
  • Our lawyers are amongst the most awarded in Northern California, and we have an unmatched record of multi-million dollar results.
  • We employ a physician on our staff so that we can thoroughly understand your injuries and properly assess your total losses.

We know that nursing home abuse victims and their families may not have the resources to pay for an attorney upfront. That is why we take Stockton nursing home abuse cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that we do not collect any legal fees until we obtain a favorable settlement or verdict on your behalf.

Understanding nursing home abuse in Stockton

Studies provided by the National Council on Aging (NCA) show that approximately one out of every 10 citizens over the age of 60 will experience some form of elder abuse each year. Unfortunately, much of this abuse happens in a nursing home setting. There are various types of abuse they can take place in nursing homes at the hands of employees and volunteers. This includes:

  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Emotional and psychological abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Neglect of basic necessities

There are various signs and symptoms of nursing home abuse that family members and friends need to be aware of. This can include any signs of traumatic injury that are unexplained, such as:

  • Bruises, scrapes, lacerations, and burns
  • Broken or dislocated bones
  • Recurring infections
  • Unexplained weight loss

Other signs of nursing home abuse can include behavioral issues such as a sudden fear around certain caretakers or employees, a sudden stop in participation in activities, unusual anxiety or depression, and more.

Can you file a lawsuit in these cases?

It may be necessary for family members of nursing home abuse victims to file a lawsuit to recover compensation for their claim. The statute of limitations (time limits) for these claims will vary depending on the situation. Under the California Code of Civil Procedure section 335.1, abuse claims arising due to personal injury must be filed within two years from the date the incident occurs. For claims arising due to medical negligence, the California Code of Civil Procedure sections 340.4 and 340.5 shows that victims have three years to file a claim from the date the incident occurs or one year from the date they discover they have been harmed, whichever comes first.

How much compensation is available?

If your loved one suffered from abuse or neglect in a nursing home, there may be various types of compensation available for your case. At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger, we have an extensive track record of success securing coverage for clients in nursing home abuse and medical malpractice situations. This includes a $2.4 million arbitration verdict against Kaiser Permanente for death resulting from a nursing error as well as a $3 million jury verdict for a medical negligence case causing personal injury (Ethier v. Poindexter).

Let our team conduct a thorough investigation into your case so we can obtain coverage for your medical bills, expenses for relocation to a new facility, pain and suffering damages, and more. When you need a Stockton nursing home abuse lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling (415) 981-7210.