Skilled Bicycle Accident Attorneys Serving Truckee, CA
The beautiful Truckee-Tahoe area boasts miles and miles of scenic biking trails, roadways with dedicated bike lanes, and bike-friendly routes shared with motor vehicles. Especially in the summer, residents and tourists enjoy the thrilling terrain, spectacular weather, and local bike events and races. Our Truckee Bike Accident Lawyer are here to assist you.
California has seen a cycling explosion in recent years. As of 2016, the state ranked fourth nationally for the percentage of bike commuters. Several new pieces of state legislation aimed at making biking safer and more popular passed in 2022.
Unfortunately, with more people on bikes California’s injury and bicycle fatality rate has increased reaching a 25-year high in 2016. The annual rate of bicycle fatalities noe exceeds the national average. Current averages show approximately 11,000 bicyclists are injured and 160 die in accidents each year.
The bicycle accident lawyers at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger have represented injured cyclists for six decades. We have an unmatched record of million- dollar-plus settlements and verdicts for our Northern California clients, including numerous multi-million-dollar bike accident cases.
Our team of attorneys includes devoted cyclists. They understand the benefits and pleasures of bike riding while also understanding the risks presented by careless
motorists. We donate to and support both the Silicon Valley and San Francisco Bicycle Coalitions, who are working hard to put a spotlight on bicycle safety and fair accident investigation.
What you need to know about riding a bicycle in California:
Under California law, bicycles are considered vehicles. Riders are responsible for knowing and following all applicable laws, obeying traffic signals and stop signs, and observing rules of roadway courtesy. Per the DMV’s California Driver Handbook, cyclists must:
- Maintain control of the bicycle at all times
- Never operate a bicycle under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Stay on the street – most California cities have ordinances making riding on sidewalks illegal for riders over a certain age. Make sure you know local laws.
- Wear a helmet – California cyclists under 18 MUST wear a fastened helmet, but it is prudent and responsible at any age.
- Yield the right of way – obey all traffic signals and crosswalks. Motor vehicle drivers must exhibit proper caution and care while driving near cyclists. (Vehicle Code section 21760.)
Intersections are the most common site of Truckee automobile collisions with bicycles, typically when a motor vehicle driver fails to yield to a crossing cyclist. However, cyclists must keep in mind that bicycles do not automatically have the right of way.
Common causes of crashes between bikes and cars or trucks include:
- Motor vehicle driver negligence, inattention or distraction
- Driving under the influence
- Roadway surface defects
Wearing proper gear, especially a correctly fitting helmet, can help reduce but not eliminate serious head injuries. There is no fail safe protection for riders –cyclists are vulnerable and unprotected in a collision— serious or life-threatening injury is common.
In the event of an accident, the vehicle code protects riders who are obeying the law. Comparative negligence rules allow a bicyclist partially at fault for an accident to receive proportionately reduced compensation.
What you should know about bicycle accident injuries
Even with protective gear, cyclists are exposed and at high risk in the event of a crash. Survivors of bike accidents may require emergency room care, trauma services, lengthy in-patient hospital stays, surgeries, office visits and rehabilitation; they may sustain permanent disability.
Common bicycle injuries include:
- Head and neck injuries. Severe blows to the head can cause skull fractures, concussions, intracranial bleeding, strokes, traumatic brain injury (TBI), and spinal cord injury, leading to temporary or permanent damage.
- Musculoskeletal / skin and soft tissue. Bike accidents can result in fractures, dislocations, rupture of ligaments and tendons, cartilage damage, and joint injuries, as well as disfiguring scarring from lacerations and “road rash.”
- Face and eye injuries. A rider that lands on asphalt or cement, or is struck by an automobile, may sustain facial fractures, penetrating foreign object injury, permanent ocular damage and blindness as well as jaw and dental fractures.
- Chest and abdomen injuries. Broken ribs, thorax injury, shoulders jointseparations and dislocations, collarbone fractures and damage to internal organs including heart, lungs, spleen and bowels are often seen. A crush injury to the torso area can be fatal if a motor vehicle rolls over on a cyclist.
Why you need a lawyer if you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident
The process of determining negligence, responsibility and fault in a bicycle accident is complex. It requires a skilled examination of the crash scene, a thorough evaluation of the physical evidence, sight lines, and post impact marks on the bike and roadway. In addition, asset investigation and insurance coverage analysis are also key. Without experienced representation from a Truckee Bike Accident Lawyer, an individual has little chance of attaining a favorable settlement or jury verdict— especially while dealing with the trauma of a severe bike injury.
At Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger our bicycle liability and injury compensation team understand the scope of bicycle accident causes and injuries and their life-altering effects—physical, psychological, and financial. We are dedicated to securing the compensation you need and deserve so that you can focus on your recovery.
Examples of our Firm’s Successful Representation in Bicycle Accident Cases
- Bicyclist Suffers Traumatic Brain Injury – $17 Million Verdict
- Bicycle Vs. Truck — $15 Million Settlement
- Bicyclist Injured By Road Hazard — $9.5 Million Settlement
- Bicyclist Injured By Dangerous Railroad Crossing – $1.3 Million Settlement
- Bicyclist Suffers Spinal Cord Injury In Accident Caused By Taxi — $1 Million Settlement
See More Case Results
*click on the individual results to see details regarding the cases.
Contact A Truckee Bike Accident Lawyer About Your Accident?
Contact Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger today. Our Truckee/Tahoe accident attorneys are ready to schedule your free consultation. We only collect legal fees when we win. Over the past decade, we have maintained a 98% success rate for our clients.