Experienced Boating Accident Lawyers Serving Truckee, CA
Truckee is a year-round paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. A vibrant town drawing 160,000 visitors annually. In the summer season, the area’s sparkling lakes and miles of the winding Truckee River offer abundant water sports opportunities, from relaxing to thrilling. Boating, jet-skiing, rafting, windsurfing, tubing, parasailing, swimming, fishing—there is fun for everyone. When accidents happen, having help from a Truckee Boating Accident Lawyer could save your life.
But water sports are not without risk. Accidents can happen on even the most well-planned and wonderful vacations and outings where adequate care is not exercised.
The greater Tahoe region has experienced an explosion in lake activity—and a substantial uptick in watercraft accidents. For all its beauty, Lake Tahoe has risks: it is extremely deep, shockingly cold, and full of less-than-careful boat owners. It ranks as California’s third most dangerous body of water, according to the South Lake Tahoe Police Department. In 2020 the lake had 32 accidents, and 15 fatalities. Injury accidents, drownings, watercraft collisions, and rafting accidents, are all von the rise at nearby Donner Lake and the Truckee River.
Significant factors in boating accidents include:
- Operator inattention is the #1 cause of boating accidents. Operators must stay focused and alert for changing weather conditions, objects in the water, boat position, and speed.
- Improper lookout: There should always be someone on board designated to spot hazards.
- Operator inexperience/lack of safety training: Recreational users without proper training and practice often get in trouble on the water.
- Excessive speed/recklessness: Almost without exception the most serious collisions occur at high speeds.
- Operator impairment: Alcohol and marijuana use are the leading contributing factors to boating fatalities.
- Equipment or machinery failure: It is the responsibility of the boat owner to maintain the craft properly; operators should make routine checks of all mechanical systems.
Common injuries related to boats, jet skis, and white-water rafts:
- Back/neck/spinal cord damage
- Concussion / Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Contusions (bruises)
- Abrasions and lacerations (scrapes and cuts)
- Drowning / Death
Although it’s impossible to make any water sport 100% safe, most watercraft accidents are due to circumstances that are within the control of the operator and therefore, preventable.
Equipment rentals require more than a quick instructional briefing and a signed contract to meet safety requirements. All too often, rented boats and jet skis have an inexperienced operator at the helm.
Choose an Experienced Truckee Boating Accident Lawyer
When you or a loved one has been injured on a boat, jet ski, or other watercraft due to someone else’s negligence, recklessness, or faulty equipment, it’s crucial to speak with a skilled accident lawyer immediately. An accident claim can provide you with compensation for medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering that result from a severe boating injury. Contact Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger today to schedule a free consultation with our Truckee Boating Accident Lawyer. We have six decades of proven success and are here to help.