Experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Serving Clients in Truckee, CA
Negligent vehicle operators are the chief cause of pedestrian collisions. Pedestrians include walkers, joggers, and individuals using a skateboard, roller skates, hoverboards, wheelchairs, or other wheeled devices that are not a bicycle. When you experience one of these accidents, our Truckee Pedestrian Accident Attorney can help you.
The range of injuries in pedestrian accidents includes fractures, dislocations, spinal cord damage, traumatic brain injury (TBI), internal organ damage, and an accident’s psychological and emotional aftermath. For survivors of these injuries hospitalization, surgeries, and a lengthy recovery can also have devastating financial repercussions.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, the number of severe traffic accidents involving pedestrians is “reaching crisis proportions.” Consider these statistics:
- From 2017 to 2021, 68 Nevada County pedestrian accidents resulted in 8 deaths.
- In California, between 2009 and 2018, nearly 7500 pedestrians were killed in motor vehicle collisions.
- Pedestrian deaths account for more than a quarter of all traffic fatalities.
- In California, the fatality rate for pedestrians is almost 25 percent higher than the national average.
Causes of motor vehicle collisions with pedestrians
- Distracted driving – Smartphone and tablet use while driving has skyrocketed increasing injury accidents exponentially.
- Failure to yield – Particularly at crosswalks, marked or unmarked, where pedestrians have the right of way and cars are turning both left and right.
- Speeding – According to the CDC, “Higher vehicle speeds increase the likelihood of a pedestrian being struck by a car and the injury severity.”
- Disobeying traffic signs and signals – such as failure to stop at a red light or stop sign.
- Driving under the influence – statistics from the CDC show that alcohol (driver or pedestrian) was a factor in nearly half of the time
Pedestrian Safety Is Important
When you’re out walking or skating:
- Ensure you are visible: wear bright/light-colored clothing or reflective accessories.
- Use the sidewalk
- Stay alert! Don’t text or talk on the phone; pay attention to your surroundings
- Cross at designated crosswalks and intersections
- Obey all traffic signs and signals
- Always look left, right, and left again before crossing the street
- Watch for vehicles that are turning
Under California’s comparative negligence statutes, driver and pedestrian may share liability for an accident. A pedestrian who is partly at fault in a collision may still have a claim. If you are the victim of a pedestrian accident you need skilled and experienced legal counsel to help with the challenging process of determining liability so that you can collect total compensation.
The Truckee Pedestrian Accident Attorney at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger has an unmatched record of multimillion-dollar awards for our clients and a decades-long history of successful representation in Northern California accident claims.
Examples of Successful Representation in Pedestrian Accident Cases
- Pedestrian Hurt on Dangerous Roadway — $12.2 Million Verdict
- Pedestrian Struck by Car — $12 Million Jury Verdict
- Disabled Driver Strikes Pedestrian — $4,333,000 Settlement
- Pedestrian Struck by Streetcar — $3.25 Million Settlement
- Pedestrian Struck by Light Rail Vehicle — $2 Million Settlement
- MUNI Railway Vehicle Hits Senior Citizen — $2 Million Settlement
Why Choose Our Skilled Truckee Pedestrian Accident Attorney
We understand the nuances of complex pedestrian injury cases, and we thoroughly investigate the accident ourselves. We work tirelessly to ensure our clients get the
compensation they need and deserve. Our caring attorneys recognize that you are going through multiple forms of trauma, and we handle your case so you can focus on recovery and rebuilding a fulfilling life.
Contact our Truckee accident lawyers today so we can make sure your rights are protected and your pedestrian injury case is correctly prepared.