Skilled Wrongful Death Attorneys Serving Clients in Truckee, CA
Whether it’s a car accident caused by a distracted driver, unsafe work conditions, a catastrophic medical mistake, or reckless behavior in a recreational activity, the experienced Truckee wrongful death attorney at Walkup, Melodia, Kelly & Schoenberger wants to hear your story so we can begin building your case. We’re committed to fighting for justice and the financial compensation you deserve.
The sudden and unexpected loss of a loved one—whether a spouse, registered domestic partner, parent, child, or sibling—is devastating and life-altering. It is emotionally and logistically overwhelming, and the financial burden can be enormous.
Understanding Wrongful Death Suits
A wrongful death is a fatality due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another person, agency, or company:
- Fatal motor vehicle collisions
- Workplace accidents
- Defective or malfunctioning machinery
- Dangerous or defective consumer products
- Unsafe conditions on private property
- Construction accidents
- Medical malpractice
In a wrongful death case, proving that the negligent party had ill intent is unnecessary. If you can demonstrate to the court that someone or a private or public entity failed to act with reasonable care and could have prevented the death with prudence and proper conduct, you may have grounds for a wrongful death suit.
Who may file a wrongful death claim?
In most cases, only the deceased individual’s surviving family members may file a California wrongful death suit. These relatives include:
- Surviving spouse or domestic partner
- Surviving children
- Surviving family members, including parents and siblings
What damages can be recovered in a California wrongful death claim? You may be entitled to recover compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses – Costs of caring for the deceased person after the accident until the time of their death.
- Funeral and burial expenses.
- Lost income – Earnings that the deceased would have accumulated in their expected lifetime, which survivors would have received as support. This may include wages, bonuses, benefits, and other income sources.
- Damages for loss of love and companionship, comfort, care, physical and moral support, and intimate relations when you have lost your spouse or partner.
California’s statute of limitations on wrongful death claims
It’s essential to be aware that wrongful death claims are time-sensitive. In most cases, surviving heirs have only two years from their family member’s death to file a wrongful death claim in California. Medical malpractice suits have a different shorter statutes of limitations. The failure to file a claim in court before the statute of limitations runs out is key. You may entirely forfeit the opportunity to recover financial compensation for your losses if you do not initiate a lawsuit on time.
Why you need an experienced wrongful death attorney
If you believe your family member died due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, speaking to a lawyer is crucial. A knowledgeable wrongful death attorney can help guide you through this challenging process.
Due to a wrongful death suit’s complex, delicate, and urgent nature, you need a skilled and compassionate attorney to handle your claim. Call our Truckee Wrongful Death Attorney today. We have over 60 years of experience and an unparalleled record of successful million-dollar-plus results in Northern California personal injury, wrongful death settlements, and litigation.
We are here to help and support you in this difficult time. We will thoroughly review the details of your case and explain all potential courses of legal action.
We know that nothing can make up for the loss you have suffered. Still, we’re dedicated to helping our bereaved clients obtain the financial compensation they need and deserve when a loved one has died due to another party’s carelessness or misconduct. Your first consultation is free, and we take no fee unless we recover damages in your case.
Examples of Our Firm’s Successful Representation in Wrongful Death Cases
- Propane Explosion – $52 Million Jury Verdict
- Defective Industrial Lift – $10 Million Settlement
- Child Wrongful Death (Car Accident) – $7.2 Million Jury Verdict
- Drunk Driver Car Accident Causing Death – $7 Million Jury Verdict
- Death of Husband and Father Drug Overdose – $5.65 Million Settlement
- Private Plane Crash – $3 Million Wrongful Death Settlement
- Fatal SUV Rollover — $2.9 Million Settlement
- Dangerous Tree Fall / Death Of 54-Year-Old Wife and Mother – $2.7 Million Settlement
- Unsafe Pedestrian Railing (Government Liability) — $2 Million Settlement
- Failure to Diagnose Bladder Cancer / Wrongful Death — $1.3 Million Settlement
The Legal Help From A Truckee Wrongful Death Attorney You Deserve
Contact the Walkup Firm’s Northern California offices today for committed, compassionate representation in your Truckee wrongful death lawsuit.